Heart disease is the leading cause of death in American women. What a woman eats and her lifestyle choices play a big part in her heart health. Although some genetic factors also play a role in heart disease it is important to try and minimize the risk as much as you can.
A persons diet is highly important when it comes to the development and prevention of cardiovascular disease. So what makes a good heart healthy diet? What should you eat and try not to eat? A persons diet should contain 20-35% of fat. The healthy fats are located in foods like: fish high in omega 3’s, nuts like almonds and walnuts and olive oil.
The unhealthy fats: saturated fat and trans fats can increase your cholesterol. Saturated fats are found in animal products like red meat and trans fats are found in hydrogenated oil’s (baked goods). When choosing dairy products you can choose low-fat or fat free options.
Some things to remember: decrease your sodium intake, alcohol and unhealthy fats. Increase omega 3 fatty acids, healthy nuts, lean proteins and even soy products as well as fruits and veggies. It is also important to have at least 30 minutes of regular exercise per day. It is important to keep the body moving and to stay active.
Check out a heart healthy recipe you can make for your family:
Lemon Baked Salmon with garlic and cherry tomato green beans served with brown rice.
Makes 4 servings
TOTAL TIME 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 6-to 8-ounces boneless salmon fillets, skin on
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Juice of 1 lemon half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 lemon wedges (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 275°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Brush with 1/2 tablespoon oil. Place salmon fillets, skin side down, on prepared baking sheet. Mix remaining oil, dill and lemon juice in a small bowl. Spread thyme mixture over salmon fillets, dividing equally. Season with salt and pepper. Let stand 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
- Bake salmon until just opaque in center, 15-18 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Garlic and Cherry Tomato Green Beans :
One bag of fresh steamed green beans; steamed and placed in skillet. 1/2 teaspoon Olive oil
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/2 cup of cherry tomatoes halved
Red pepper flakes to taste
Toss in pan until warm and garlic and tomatoes are softened
By: Leigh Anne Hansen, Nutritiously Yours intern and Dietetic internship candidate
Heart health sources